If you are fed up trying to make a difference working in a corporate environment, strangled by red tape, endless process and governance then Boohoo technology is the place for you.
We have an incredibly diverse, noncorporate workplace where the fun, learn fast culture breeds innovation and creative thinking. Allowing us to implement new technology faster than anybody. You’ll be working on ideas that drive real visible business impact in weeks not months or years.
We have an amazing opportunity for an experienced Lead Engineer to lead the new team working on local and international initiatives.
If you’re passionate about technology? Thrive working in an innovative, vibrant environment? then we would love to hear from you.
Background – who we are
We are a trailblazing global leader in online retail and technology. Our brands include Boohoo, PrettyLittleThing, Nasty Gal & Karen Millen. We design, source, market and sell clothing, shoes, accessories and now beauty products through our growing Debenhams marketplace solution.
The speed and agility of the group ensures it is first to market with the latest on-trend styles and fashion. Products are designed, sourced, largely in the UK, and subsequently distributed globally from a central UK warehouse.
The group sells products to customers in almost every country in the world, with a strong presence in the UK, US, Europe and Australia.
Founded in Manchester in 2006, boohoo group is an inclusive and innovative brand targeting young, value-orientated customers. For over 10 years, boohoo group has been pushing boundaries to bring its customers up-to-date and inspirational fashion, 24/7. Boohoo group has grown rapidly in the UK and internationally, and now has over 18 million customers.
About the job
Reporting into the Chief Architect, as a Senior Developer of the Wholesale area you will take on the responsibility for leading the wholesale engineering team on a day to day basis.
You will be responsible for leading the in house development and implementation of Boohoo’s new wholesale solution which is being designed and developed in house. This is an exciting time in our journey and this role gives a great opportunity to shape our new solution whilst we are embarking on a technological transformation.
You will enjoy managing and developing a resilient and high performing team of software engineers.
You will act as SME in your respective discipline, removing blockers, solving problems and make decisions
What you’ll be doing
- You will lead, coach, develop and build a resilient and high-performing team who are capable of understanding and delivering on the technology vision and strategy, contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and take ownership of their career progression.
- Owns shared accountability with the technology leadership team for delivered solutions ensuring commercial viability; operational principles and standards compliance; adherence to the architectural strategy and high-level solution designs; and solution delivery which is; supportable, enduring and minimises future development costs.
- Lead software & data engineering across all projects within technology (including software reviews, tools & solution design and maintenance and infrastructure design and operation).
- Manages technology architectures across software & data engineering functions and drive capability and competency across all teams.
- Execute software & data engineering approach and technology strategy roadmap to create solution designs and application architectures.
- Drive Agile software & data engineering approach and best practice principles across the teams.
Your skills and experience
- Exceptional communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills and stakeholder management experience.
- Strong influencing skills and ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences, clearly and concisely.
- Proven experience leading projects of which you were involved in requirement refining.
- Excels at working with people and developing teams. Experienced in coaching and mentoring senior & principle engineers
- Able to work under pressure and adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines and quickly update stakeholders on impact (potential or actual) to the defined delivery timescales.
- Knowledge and experience of implementing and leading a software engineering strategy, SDLC strategy, and working with cloud technologies.
- Knowledge and expertise of agile engineering concepts, standards and methodologies, combined with practical experience of determining the best approach/implementation.
- Technical leadership experience
- Senior Exec advisory & reporting experience
- Enthusiastic about Agile delivery
- Technical Stakeholder experience
- Experience of building and running large engineering teams
- Experience of building Event-driven, Event sourced & Microservice architectures
- Expert knowledge of Continuous Integration and Delivery workflows
- Serverless Architectures
- Container management systems
- Senior competency building applications in Node.js
- Commercial experience building applications leveraging AWS Services (CodePipeline, DynamoDB, EventBridge, Lambda Functions, SNS Topics, SQS)
- GraphQL (Apollo)
- Relational databases – MySQL/T-SQL
- Git & GitHub Actions
- TDD – Jest
- Experience mentoring Junior Developers
- MongoDB Atlas experience or knowledge
- Experience in another backend frameworks (Express.js, Next.js)
- Experience working in sprints
- Experience working in Retail
- Experience of Wholesale and/or Marketplace systems